Get Sober Help

Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Story (part four)

I knew I would have to cut down... I promised my wife I would. I was just barely holding my job, but that was all. I was of no help around the house, no help with the bills, or my now almost two year old daughter. Consuming two cases of beer almost daily was taking a toll on me physically. I was beginning to have serious problems. Some Id rather not talk about in graphic detail here.
I was only in my twenties and my body was acting like eighty five. Our marriage suffered, our sex life suffered ... our child suffered.
At nights I would become increasingly aggressive and meen. During more serious fights, my wife would often pick our little girl out of bed and hold her... Id back off then. Inside, I didnt want to hurt any one, least of all my loved ones.
Mentaly, I was destroying us all. Over and over, I promised to stop drinking. One morning I awoke on the front porch, in my shorts and a tee shirt. How many people had gone by and seen me there, passed out? Another time I passed out on the bed while my wife watched TV. Smelling something burning in, she came in the room to see a ciggerette burning a hole in my chest. I didnt even wake up till the next day. I considered stopping smoking... but kept drinking.
Then there was the big fight. One night in a rage I left the house in our car and sped around the block. I ended up in a ditch with police cars behind me. It was the first time Id ever driven drunk. The next morning I realized for the first time that I was loosing all judgement.
I was scared. Terrified.
I went to work that day and told a co-worker I needed help. I knew her and her husband were members of an alcoholics anonymous group. They took me to a meeting that night, and he came to my house and removed all the beer and alcohol I had.
Through out the house we collected empty beer cans in every room. They were every where... in the kitchen, bathroom, closets. Under the bed. I was about to become alcohol free for the first time in almost ten years. But how long could I stay sober?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home